What Do I Need to Apply?
Thesis Research Travel Grant for 2019-20
The following is a summary of the information you will need to complete the electronic application.
For Domestic Research:
Section 1: Applicant Information
- Name, email address, student ID, program, citizenship status
- location of proposed research
- indicate month/year preliminary orals have been/will be passed
- indicate human/animal subjects use, if applicable to research
Section 2: Application
Research Proposal and Curriculum Vitae
- Maximum two-pages, single-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font, one-inch margins. Key references, diagrams or pictures may be included (but they are not required) on a single additional appendix page (no formatting requirements).
- Include a working title for your research project at the top of the proposal.
- Describe your research plan in terms that are accessible to the non-specialist. Ask someone outside your field to read your proposal, to ensure that it is jargon-free.
- Explain the importance of the proposed travel to the completion of your dissertation.
- If your research is part of a larger group project, be specific about your role and independent contribution.
- Explain how your research will be completed if this request is not funded or if other needed funds are not forthcoming.
- Maximum two-pages, single-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font, one-inch margins.
- Focus on publications, presentations, academic accomplishments & awards.
Unofficial UMN graduate transcript
- with explanation of any incompletes
If applicable, IRB/IACUC documentation for human/animal subjects (See FAQ)
Section 3: Recommenders
- Name and email address of two recommenders (first recommender should be major advisor)
- Letters are due by the deadline.
Section 4: Save/Update/Submit or Request Letters
- Electronic signature, copy of application and letter request options
- Send electronic letter requests to recommenders well in advance of the application deadline.
For International Research:
All of the above documentation plus
1. Letter of Affiliation from host institution/country (see FAQ)
2. Language Evaluation (see FAQ)