William W. Stout Fellowship
Thomas F. Wallace Fellowship
Program Nomination Deadline: Noon, November 3, 2015
(One nomination per program)
This award is open to graduate students in the humanities or social sciences who are in the intermediate years of the Ph.D. (i.e., normally students currently in their second or third year of graduate study). Programs should explain their definition of intermediate status. Students must be registered for credit in the University of Minnesota Graduate School at the time of application. Students are ineligible for a second award.
$23,000 for the academic year, plus tuition and subsidized health insurance for the academic year.
1 award for the William Stout Fellowship in 2016-17.
1 award for the Thomas Wallace Fellowship in 2016-17.
For nominees and programs: What documentation is required?
For programs: Program nomination procedure
The review and selection will be conducted by University of Minnesota faculty, which will select the awardees based on the following criteria:
- The strength of the academic record and the overall professional promise.
- The cohesiveness and significance of the study or research plan.
- The timeliness of progress toward the degree.
- The strength of the letters of recommendation.
Directors of Graduate Studies will be notified, in writing, by the end of February 2016.
Nominees will hear of the result from their DGS.
- Duplicate Awards - Recipients may not hold concurrently a second fellowship, scholarship, grant, or similar award that duplicates the benefits of the Fellowship.
- Supplementation - Recipients may hold concurrently a graduate assistantship of up to 25% time, or supplementation up to the value of a 25% assistantship in each semester.
- Terms of Award - Although recipients need not be in residence during the tenure of the fellowship, they must be registered for credit in the Graduate School both semesters of the academic year.