McNair Scholar Visitation Program
Welcome McNair Programs and Scholars!
During the Summer of 2017, we invited McNair Programs to our Graduate School Visitation Program held once a month (June 20, July 11, and Aug 9, 2017) on the Twin Cities campus. The day consists of a presentation about the process of applying for admission to graduate programs. The students met with faculty and staff to discuss their research, and receive a staff-led tour of the campus. We encouraged students to attend our annual Summer Undergraduate Research Symposium held August 10, 2017. Our Summer 2017 McNair Visitation Program was highly successful; over 200 McNair Scholars attended. Scholars come as far away as California, Texas and Florida. For more information please contact Derek Maness at 612-625-3524 or at email@example.com.
Please register on-line at: z.umn.edu/summervisit2017
Day of Event
- 8:30am - 9:00am: Beverages and meet Graduate School/ODGE Staff
- 9am - 10:30am: Applying to Graduate Schools Presentation
- 10:30am - 11:30am: Campus Tour (optional)
- 11:30 am - 4:30pm: Lunch and Faculty/Staff appointments
All dates are set to take place in room Nicholson Hall 35
Please arrive by 8:30 A.M. in room Nicholson Hall 35. At 9:00 A.M., there will be a Graduate School Admission staff presentation about the process of applying for admission to a graduate program. After the presentation you'll have the opportunity to take a one hour staff-led tour of the campus starting at approximately 10:15 A.M.. Following the tour at 11:15 A.M., students are encouraged to meet with faculty and staff of their desired program to discuss research interests and learn about the program.
Past Summer Visitors
U of Illinois--Urbana Champaign, U of Central Florida, U of Kansas, U of Nothern Texas, Sonoma State U-California, St. Olaf C, Augsburg C, UW-Superior, UW-Eau Claire, UW-LaCrosse, UW-Stout, U of Northern Iowa, Beloit College, C of St. Scholastica, U of St. Thomas, Bemidji State U, California State Polytechnic U - Pomona, U of San Diego, U of Arkansas, Harding U (AR), U of Montevallo-Alabama, U Central Missouri, Northern Michigan U, U of North Dakota, Marquette U, UW-Oskosh and U of Minnesota.
We encourage McNair Scholars to complete the Graduate School's "Request for Information Form" so they can receive important information about Graduate Program(s) and the application process. This is not a listserv, but rather just a helpful resource for those interested in studying at the University. You'll get a few emails until you decide to become an applicant.
Upon arrival in room 101 Walter Library students will be given a packet of information that will include the following, as well as other pertinent information:
- McNair Scholar Resources at the University of Minnesota (to include application fee grant information)copy of the power point presentation
To set up an appointment for specific programs, please go to the Twin Cities Graduate Program website at https://apps.grad.umn.edu/programs/select_program.aspx?l=t. Select the desired program and click on "Graduate Program At-A-Glance" in order to obtain the contact information of the DGS (Director of Graduate Studies) and DGS Assistant (Plan Level Coordinator) of the program. We recommend that you start with the DGS Assistant.
Students interested in Anthropology should note that faculty are most likely doing field research during the summer. However, the faculty are very keen to talk to McNair Scholars. We recommend that you identify faculty you are interested in working with and contact them directly at: http://anthropology.umn.edu/people/faculty.html. Faculty will be happy to have a conversation with you by phone or Skype.
Students interested in the Biomedical Engineering Graduate Program are invited to contact Rachel Jorgenson, Biomedical Engineering Graduate Program Coordinator, 612-624-8396, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://bme.umn.edu/grad
- Biochemistry, Molecular Biology & Biophysics
- Integrative Biology and Physiology
- Molecular, Cellular, Developmental Biology & Genetics
- Microbiology, Immunology & Cancer Biology
Students interested in School of Nursing please contact: Student and Career Advancement Services, School of Nursing, 612-625-7980, http://www.nursing.umn.edu/academic-programs/index.htm
Students interested in School of Public Affairs please contact: Dan Cheng, Associate Director of Recruiting and Admissions, Humphrey School of Public Affairs, 612-624-3800, email@example.com, www.hhh.umn.edu/
Students interested in Psychology should be aware that the University of Minnesota has a wealth of programs that may be appropriate for your visit. For more information or to figure out which area might be the best fit for you, please contact the staff listed. Below are some of our programs with a psychology focus:
Psychology in the College of Liberal Arts, containing the fields of
- Cognitive and Brain Sciences (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Clinical Science (email@example.com)
- Counseling Psychology (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology (email@example.com)
- Personality, Individual Differences, and Behavior Genetics (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Biological Psychopathology (email@example.com)
- Quantitative/Psychometrics (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Social Psychology (email@example.com)
More graduate programs in the Psychology field:
- Child Psychology (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Family Social Science (Marriage and Family Therapy) (email@example.com)
- Social Work (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Human Resources and Industrial Relations (email@example.com)
- Neuroscience (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Educational Psychology (email@example.com):
- Counseling and Student Personal Psychology
- Psychology Foundations
- Quantitative Methods in Education
- School Psych
- Special Education
These hotels are recommendations and are not endorsed by the University of Minnesota.
(612) 379-8888; www.commonshotel.com/
Approx $134/night + tax + parking
The Common Hotel is located on the Metro Train Green Line - Stadium Village Station
2407 University Avenue SE, Minneapolis
(612) 623-9303; www.daysinn.com
Approx $69/night + tax
Sleeps 1-4 people
Includes continental breakfast, free local phone service, and free shuttle service to the University.
1500 Washington Avenue, Minneapolis
(612) 333-4646; http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mspdc-courtyard-minneapolis-downtown/
Approx $122/night single + tax + parking