DOVE Fellowship: Required Documentation
Program Nomination deadline: 4:30 p.m., Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Nominating procedure: PROGRAMS ARE LIMITED TO TWO (2) NOMINATIONS. If more than two (2) nominations are received from a program, the Graduate School Diversity Office will return all the nominations. The program will need to select two (2) to resubmit by the deadline.
The nomination is uploaded by program staff, as a single PDF to the electronic nomination form, and must include:
- Nomination letter from the Director of Graduate Studies
- Nominee's narrative statement on career objectives
- Nominee's narrative statement on how their background, experiences, and achievements will contribute to the University's goal of promoting excellence through diversity. If applicable, nominees should mention hardships or obstacles that they have overcome to complete their undergraduate education (e.g., coming from a low-income background or being the first-generation college student). Although the Diversity Statement (Statement #2) in the Graduate School online application fulfills this requirement, nominees are encouraged to provide a unique narrative statement specifically for the DOVE nomination.
- Two letters of recommendation. A program can determine which letters of recommendation they wish submit with the DOVE nomination. The letters could be those submitted with the nominee's graduate school application, or recommendation letters written specifically for the DOVE.
Nomination Letter from Director of Graduate Studies
The nomination letter from the Director of Graduate Studies is particularly important. The letter should describe aspects of the nominee’s record or interests not readily discernible from the application itself - e.g. a description of the research interests and the match with a potential adviser’s research, an appraisal of the undergraduate college or department, etc. At a minimum, the letter should:
- Summarize the nominee’s preparation, suitability, and high academic potential for success in the graduate program. Please confirm that the nominee has completed formal graduate program admission requirements.
- Summarize the current admissions status of the nominee.
- Assess the overall qualifications of the nominee relative to other applicants to the graduate program.
- Describe how the nominee’s background, experiences and achievements will contribute to the University’s goal of promoting excellence through diversity
- Describe the financial support that the nominating graduate program will provide to the nominee for the duration of the nominee’s graduate work after the DOVE fellowship year.
- Confirm that the program will provide the $4000 stipend for the nominee’s participation in the DOVE Summer Institute
- Confirm that the program will provide a minimum of $1000 in financial support for research and conference travel.
- Indicate any missing documents, such as a letter of recommendation, and the date by which it will be forwarded to the Graduate School Diversity Office. Be advised, however, that missing documentation at the time review begins may result in an unfavorable decision.
It is expected that nominees will complete all required undergraduate coursework prior to entry to the graduate program.