The mission of the Graduate School Diversity Office (GSDO) is to coordinate and lead The Graduate School initiatives in support of the recruitment, funding, retention, and graduation of a diverse student body. In addition, GSDO works closely with other University of Minnesota offices that are concerned with diversity and multiculturalism. We fulfill this mission by:
- Providing top quality service to prospective graduate students, currently enrolled graduate students, faculty, funding representatives, and university colleagues.
- Providing accurate and timely information about the University of Minnesota and its commitment to enrolling a diverse student population by attending graduate and professional school fairs and receptions in Minnesota, the Upper Midwest Region, and nationally.
- Supporting a diverse student body in recruiting, funding, retention, and graduation with strategies for clarifying goals; selecting an appropriate graduate program; preparing the best possible graduate school application; and funding graduate work through assistantships and fellowships.
- Serving as the administrative unit for funding programs that support a diverse graduate student body.
- Promoting professional development and scholarship across disciplines and working toward creating the institutional environment necessary for facilitating the academic achievements of graduate and professional students through the Community of Scholars Program.
- Encouraging undergraduate students to consider graduate study by participating in research and other academic projects outside of their regular coursework.
For more information about our initiatives, programs and activities, please refer to our "About Us" website.