APD Update: Dec 15, 2015
Sneak Peek of Spring 2016 Professional Development Opportunities
Sponsored by the Graduate School
Note: Some titles in this series are subject to minor revision. More information about these opportunities coming soon. To add these events to your Google calendar, visit the APD website.
- Careers in Business for Humanities and Social Sciences Ph.D.s (Versatile PhD) | Monday, January 25-Friday, January 29
- Integrative Strategies for English Learning | Tuesday, January 26, 3-4:30 p.m.
- Faculty Panel on Negotiating Salary and Launching New Faculty Career | Friday, February 5, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Writing Successful Grant Proposals | Friday, February 12, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Finding and Addressing Your Audience | Thursday, February 18, 3-5 p.m.
- Demystifying Dissertation Writing Process | Friday, February 19, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Careers in Software Engineering for STEM Ph.D.s (Versatile PhD) | Monday, February 22-Friday, February 26
- Grant Funding Search Tools and Databases for Interdisciplinary Research | Friday, February 26, 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Recruiter Panel on How to Break into Non-academic Careers | Monday, February 29, 12-1:30 p.m.
- Power Up Your Job Search | Tuesday, March 1, 12-1:30 p.m.
- Re-imagine Resume | Wednesday, March 2, 12-1:30 p.m.
- Win Your Next Job Interview | Thursday, March 3, 12-1:30 p.m.
- The Monster Called Networking | Friday, March 4, 12-1:30 p.m.
- Work Authorization and Job Search Strategies for International Graduate Students | Monday, March 7, 12-1:30 p.m.
- International Alumni Career Panel | Tuesday, March 8, 12-1:30 p.m.
- Effective Workplace Communication | Wednesday, March 9, 12-1 p.m.
- Articulating Your Interdisciplinary Research in Speaking and in Writing | Thursday, March 10, 3-5 p.m.
- Careers in Technical Writing for Humanities and Social Sciences Ph.D.s (Versatile PhD) | Monday, March 14-Friday, March 18
- Resume Marathon | Monday, March 21, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Practice Interview Day | Thursday, March 24, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Mock Employer Networking Event (Elevator Speech Practice) | Friday, March 25, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Career Networking Event | Friday, April 1, 8 a.m.-12 p.m.
Sponsored by the Center for Educational Innovation
- PFF Retreat: Learn more about the Preparing Future Faculty program as well as about the academic job search. More information
- Secrets of English Pronunciation Workshop Series: Topics will include fluency, emphasis, and tone. More information
- Teaching Assistant Workshop Series: Spring semester workshops will include Active Learning 101 (January), Efficient Grading Strategies (February), and Teaching with Technology (March).
- EAT: Entrepreneurs at the Table | Thursday, February 4, 5:30 - 8 p.m.
- SOLVE will showcase 10 women-led startups and connect them to people who can help them overcome a barrier to their company's growth | Friday, February 19, 12-5 p.m.
- 3rd Annual Women in Entrepreneurship Conference, Strategic Partners | Thursday, March 31, 1-5 p.m.
Featuring Campus Unit: Minnesota English Language Program
- To be successful, international graduate students and postdocs need to possess a high level of English proficiency to complete a variety of complex academic tasks. Minnesota English Language Program provides courses that could help you improve English pronunciation, research writing or speaking for Academic Purposes. More information
From a Distance: Online Resources
- Career conversation with Raha Been, an alumna and innovator at 3M: Her work at 3M focuses on using adhesives to keep planes together and protect them from environmental wear and tear. Previously, she worked in health care research at 3M, developing advanced wound care technologies and products. Raha has three 3M patents pending and was the recipient of two innovation awards in 2015, including the prestigious 3M Circle of Technical Excellence.
- Visa workshop recordings: A recording and handouts of the Employment-based Visas and Permanent Residency Workshop is now available in the Career Services section of the ISSS website. This workshop provides an overview of employment-based visa options such as H-1B, O-1, and L-1 visas, and the process for becoming a permanent resident in the United States through employment.
Preparing Future Faculty Retreat
Wednesday, January 13, 2016 | 12-4:30 p.m.| 312 Bruininks Hall
Greetings Future Faculty Members! Do you want to find out more about the academic job search? If so, please join us on Wednesday, January 13 for the Preparing Future Faculty (PFF) Retreat (location to be announced). As a participant, you'll be able to attend workshops that cover the academic job search and talk to faculty experts from local colleges and universities about finding an academic position that's right for you. The PFF Retreat begins at 12:00 p.m. when you pick up your registration packet and concludes at 4:30 p.m. A $10 registration fee includes workshop materials and light refreshments. Space is limited, so please register soon. We hope to see you on January 13! More information
Fellowship & Job Opportunities
2016-2017 Innovation Fellows Program: The University of Minnesota is recruiting a cross-disciplinary team for a one-year fellowship of collaborative medical device innovation. Those encouraged to apply include postgraduate engineers, biological scientists, business professionals, physicians (including residents and fellows), medical device professionals, and anyone with a passion for medical devices. Application deadline: Wednesday, January 20, 2016. Learn more
Postdoctoral Fellow (Visiting Assistant Professor): Humanities Teaching and Learning Alliance In collaboration with the Futures Initiative and the Teaching and Learning Center at the Graduate Center and the Center for Teaching and Learning at LaGuardia Community College, the Mellon Humanities Teaching and Learning Alliance Postdoctoral Fellow will work on digital scholarly communication and public engagement related to the activities of the Alliance. The position resides at the border between technological platform development and humanities instruction, and will help to shape project engagement with various publics across multiple platforms and the broader community. To learn more and/or apply, go to http://cuny.jobs/ and search for Job ID 14142.
Scholar (Research Assistant Professor): Humanities Teaching and Learning Alliance
Based in the Teaching and Learning Center, the Mellon Humanities Teaching and Learning Scholar (Research Assistant Professor) will develop and implement a range of support initiatives for graduate students developing as college teachers, support the nine Mellon Teaching Fellows assigned to courses at LaGuardia Community College annually as part of the Mellon Humanities Teaching and Learning Alliance, and pivot the lessons of that Alliance to a broader community of teachers, students, and scholars based at the Graduate Center. The Mellon Humanities Scholar will also work with the director to broaden the programming and the institutional presence of the Graduate Center's Teaching and Learning Center, now in its initial year. To learn more and/or apply, go to http://cuny.jobs/ and search for Job ID 14169.
Branco Weiss Postdoctoral Fellowship: The Branco Weiss Fellowship is a unique postdoc program that awards young researchers around the world with a generous personal research grant, giving them the freedom to work on whatever topic they choose anywhere in the world, for up to five years. This research fellowship is designed to support postdoctoral researchers after their Ph.D. and before their first faculty appointment. Those in current postdoctoral positions are also eligible. Ideally, fellows pursue unconventional projects in new areas of science, engineering and social sciences. The fellowship is international and trans-disciplinary in nature. Application deadline: January 15, 2016. More information
Perry World House Postdoctoral Fellowship Program: The Global Innovations Institute at the University of Pennsylvania’s Perry World House invites applications for its inaugural postdoctoral fellowship program, which will take place during the 2016-2017 academic year. The Global Innovations Institute is the research arm of Perry World House, the University of Pennsylvania’s new university-wide hub for global engagement and interdisciplinary international policy research. Applications are welcomed from scholars who have received their Ph.D. or equivalent degrees in the last two years, or who expect to complete their degree by June 2016. We hope to bring 3-4 postdoctoral fellows to campus for the 2016-2017 academic year. We are seeking excellent scholars from a variety of disciplines who are interested in interdisciplinary outreach and who work on policy relevant topics. Applications will be reviewed starting February 15, 2016. To receive full consideration, applications should be received by that date. More information
Knowledge Management Internship with Maestral International
Spring 2016 internship opportunity in Minneapolis
Maestral is in its sixth year of operations, and is growing rapidly. During that period, it has assembled a growing body of experience and evidence in global child welfare, both through its own projects and programs and through its relationships with other organizations that share its vision and mission. Much of that material is rich in content, but has limited organization and classification. Further, Maestral’s advisors are global leaders in their fields, but have had limited opportunities to share experiences and lessons learned through teleconferences and other venues. this internship is to establish an active and sustainable knowledge management function within Maestral, allowing its global advisors to access evidence, tools and resources more efficiently and effectively, while also sharing experience, knowledge and information on a more active basis. View full description
- May 8, 2018
- April 24, 2018
- April 10, 2018
- March 27, 2018
- March 13, 2018
- February 27, 2018
- February 13, 2018
- January 30, 2018
- January 16, 2018
- January 2, 2018
- December 19, 2017
- December 5, 2017
- November 21, 2017
- November 7, 2017
- October 24, 2017
- October 10, 2017
- September 26, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- August 29, 2017
- August 8, 2017
- August 7, 2017 New Students
- July 31, 2017 Int'l Students
- July 25, 2017
- July 11, 2017
- June 20, 2017
- June 6, 2017
- May 9, 2017
- April 25, 2017
- April 11, 2017
- March 28, 2017
- February 14, 2017
- January 31, 2017
- January 27, 2017
- January 17, 2017
- December 20, 2016
- December 6, 2016
- November 22, 2016
- November 8, 2016
- October 25, 2016
- October 11, 2016
- September 27, 2016
- September 13, 2016
- August 30, 2016
- August 16, 2016
- July 28, 2016: Int'l Students
- July 26, 2016
- July 12, 2016
- June 21, 2016
- June 7, 2016
- May 24, 2016
- May 10, 2016
- April 26, 2016
- April 12, 2016
- March 29, 2016
- March 15, 2016
- March 1, 2016
- February 16, 2016
- February 2, 2016
- January 19, 2016
- January 11, 2016
- December 15, 2015
- November 24, 2015
- November 10, 2015
- October 21, 2015
- October 9, 2015
- September 23, 2015
- September 15, 2015
- August 31, 2015
- June 17, 2015
- June 3, 2015
- April 29, 2015
- March 10, 2015
- February 24, 2015
- January 22, 2015