Encouraging the enrollment of international students in the University, U.S. student enrollment in universities overseas, and the interchange of Minnesota and foreign university faculty is based on the enlightened self-interest of the University.”

– University of Minnesota Board of Regents Policy on International Education

International Student Information

International Admissions

Prospective Students

Thank you for considering the University of Minnesota for your graduate or professional degree program. The University community includes 2,700 international graduate and professional degree students in more than 190 fields.

Why Study at the University of Minnesota?

Request Information

Request more information! Sign up to receive information from your program(s) of interest; as well as periodic updates about the application process and information about the University of Minnesota.


Application Instructions
English Language Requirements

Most international applicants must provide ESL exam scores as a condition of admission.   Details are available here:   English language proficiency requirements.

International Transcripts and Credentials

View requirements regarding international transcripts and credentials.

Admitted Students: Congratulations!

Next Steps:
Request the document you'll need for your student visa.

MOST students (including those with an assistantship) require an I-20 for an F-1 visa. To request an I-20, you must log in to your application and:

  • Submit  the Enrollment Form (in your decision letter) to confirm your intent to enroll at the U of M.
  • Submit the online International Financial Certification form (accessible via your application dashboard)  Specific instructions for completing the Financial Certification are provided inside the form. 

I-20s for Graduate Students are issued by our office: If you have questions about your student visa, please email us at gsquest@umn.edu.

If you have funding from a sponsoring agency such as Fulbright, LASPAU, etc, you may be required to get a J-1 visa.  For more information about J visas, please contact International Student and Scholar Services at isss@umn.edu.

While you wait for your I-20

English Language Resources

Minnesota English Language Program

The Minnesota English Language Program (MELP) offers English as a Second Language courses for admitted students who want to improve their English language skills as well as an Intensive English Program for students preparing to apply for admission to a university or college or are preparing to take an English proficiency exam.

International TA Program

This program offers courses and individual consultations to international graduate students who seek professional development in their teaching and use of English in the U.S. cultural context.

More Useful Resources and Links for International Students

More Resources

Frequently Asked Questions