Workshops & Resources
The Graduate School provides interdisciplinary workshops and online resources for graduate students and postdoctoral trainees at the University of Minnesota.
Recorded Workshops for Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Researchers
Career Development/Job Searching Resources
- Graduate and Professional Students Guide to Career Planning
- Preparing Future Faculty
- Individual Development Plan
- Individual Development Plan--Interdisciplinary focus
- Résumé, C.V., Cover Letters: Including sample CV ’s and Cover letters as well as weblinks that offer helpful tips on putting together successful resumes and services for job seekers
- Interviewing: Helpful links to a variety of interviewing tips including a link to the PhD Interview Preparation Guide
- Jobs Inside and Outside Academe: Helpful links to job databases and articles about jobs inside and outside academia.
- Job Searching Tools: General job search tools including departmental profiles and opportunities to post your resume/CV online
- Career Development Services: University Counseling and Consulting Services
University Counseling and Consulting Services
- University Counseling and Career Services Resources: University Counseling & Consulting Services (UCCS) supports the teaching, research, and outreach/service missions of the University of Minnesota by offering comprehensive, accessible, flexibly-delivered counseling, consultation, instruction, and educational measurement services within the University and to Minnesota's educational community
- Student Academic Success Services (SASS): Classes, workshops, individual consultation & counseling, and study skills resources
Collegiate Career Services Offices
- Links to Career Services in Your College: The University of Minnesota provides a number of career resources for incoming and continuing graduate students.
- VersatilePhD: The Versatile PhD is a web-based, woman-owned, socially positive business that helps universities provide graduate students with non-academic professional development. The mission of VersatilePhD is to help graduate students identify, prepare for, and excel in possible non-academic careers.
- Grantspersonship: An Instruction Manual: Beth Fischer and Michael Zigmond from the University of Pittsburgh provide sage advice on how to write successful grant proposals.
- The Grant Doctor: A useful compilation of articles on various aspects of obtaining grants and fellowships by the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Grant Writers' Tools: This site is maintained by the Division of Sponsored Programs at the University of Iowa – it offers several resources related to the proposal writing process, as well as sample proposals.
- SciVal Funding Search funding opportunities.
- Foundation Directory Online: Opportunities and information on foundations, corporate sponsors, and public charities.
- GrantsNet: Funding Opportunities in the Sciences: An extensive database of various funding opportunities compiled by the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Community of Science - Pivot: Search for funding opportunities or subscribe to funding alert (both in science and non-science areas).
- Grant Funding: Search Tools and Resources: University of Minnesota Libraries resource page for funding resources.