Academic & Professional Development
Recorded Workshops for Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Researchers: Click here for presentations and audio recordings >>
The Graduate School provides interdisciplinary workshops and online resources for graduate students and postdoctoral trainees at the University of Minnesota.
Resources at the U of M
- Graduate and Professional Students Guide to Career Planning
- Individual Development Plan
- Individual Development Plan--Interdisciplinary focus
- Especially for Graduate Writers
- Dissertation Writing Retreat
- Career Development Services: University Counseling and Consulting Services
- Ethics for Research, Scholarship and Practice
- Preparing Future Faculty
- Student Academic Success Services (SASS): Classes, workshops, individual consultation & counseling, and study skills resources
- Stress Management
- University of Minnesota Digital Media Center
- Writer's Nexus
- Grantspersonship: An Instruction Manual
Beth Fischer and Michael Zigmond from the University of Pittsburgh provide sage advice on how to write successful grant proposals.
- The Grant Doctor
A useful compilation of articles on various aspects of obtaining grants and fellowships by the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Why Proposals are Rejected
Information from a National Institutes of Health study indicating common reasons why proposals are rejected.
- Grant Writers' Tools
This site is maintained by the Division of Sponsored Programs at the University of Iowa – it offers several resources related to the proposal writing process, as well as sample proposals.
- SPIN (Sponsored Programs Information Network)
SPIN is a computer database with detailed information about thousands of federal, nonfederal, and international funding opportunities.
- Foundation Center
Opportunities and information on foundations, corporate sponsors, and public charities.
- GrantsNet: Funding Opportunities in the Sciences
An extensive database of various funding opportunities compiled by the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Community of Science
Search for funding opportunities or subscribe to funding alert (both in science and non-science areas).
Job Searching Resources
- Résumé, C.V., Cover Letters
Including sample CV ’s and Cover letters as well as weblinks that offer helpful tips on putting together successful resumes and services for job seekers
Helpful links to a variety of interviewing tips including a link to the PhD Interview Preparation Guide
- Jobs Inside and Outside Academe
Helpful links to job databases and articles about jobs inside and outside academia.
- Job Searching Tools
General job search tools including departmental profiles and opportunities to post your resume/CV online
University Counseling and Consulting Services:
University Counseling & Consulting Services (UCCS) supports the teaching, research, and outreach/service missions of the University of Minnesota by offering comprehensive, accessible, flexibly-delivered counseling, consultation, instruction, and educational measurement services within the University and to Minnesota's educational community.
Collegiate Career Services Offices:
The University of Minnesota provides a number of career resources for incoming and continuing graduate students.