2013-14 Thesis Research Travel Grants
Domestic Thesis Research Travel Grant
International Thesis Research Travel Grant
Students may apply for either the Domestic or the International Thesis Research Travel Grant. Typical budgets generally include flight, hotel, and expenses for fieldwork.
Deadline: 12 noon, February 4, 2014
Domestic Thesis Research Travel Grant:
Maximum award of $2,500 available to support thesis research outside of the applicant’s area of residence.
International Thesis Research Travel Grant:
Maximum award of $5,000 available for extended travel to conduct thesis research abroad.
Applicants are expected to have exhausted other potential sources for travel funds and to indicate if they have partial funding toward the travel from grants on or beyond campus, including those that are under consideration.
Students must be registered in a graduate program at the University of Minnesota and must have passed the oral preliminary examination by the application deadline. Students are ineligible for a second award.
- Start Application
- Create a username and password.
- If you are applying to multiple fellowship competitions, you will need to create a new user login for each application.
- Create a username and password.
- Send Letter Requests - To ensure that letter writers have sufficient time prior to the deadline:
- Complete sections 1-3 of the electronic application (Applicant Information, Eligibility, and Recommenders), then select "SEND" options (in section 5) at the bottom of the application page.
- Your two recommenders will receive an email with instructions and a link.
- You will receive notification when the letters are uploaded.
- Complete the Application
- Complete section 4 of the electronic application.
- NOTE: You must first complete sections 1 & 2 of the application in order to view all required questions in section 4.
- This section (4-Application) details your credentials and the proposed project, and includes all of your uploaded documentation.
- Revise your Application
- You may continue to revise your entire application until the deadline.
- To resume/edit your application, log-in with your username and password, then select the pencil icon (located on the far left).
- Select SAVE/UPDATE at the bottom of the application page to register your changes.
- Please note that your application is "submitted" each time you select "SAVE/UPDATE" or "SEND" at the bottom of the screen. Submitted information will only be viewed after the application deadline.
The following is a summary of the information you will need to complete the electronic application.
Log-in to the application for complete instructions.
Section 1: Applicant Information
Section 2: Eligibility Information
Section 3: Recommenders
Section 4: Application
Section 5: Save/Update or Request Letters
The review and selection will be conducted by University of Minnesota faculty, who will select the awardees based on the following criteria:
- The cohesiveness of the study or research plan and the clarity with which it is conveyed to the non-specialist,
- the direct impact travel will have on the research,
- the strength of the overall academic record,
- the soundness of the budget request,
- the timeliness of progress toward the degree, and
- the strength of the letters of recommendation.
Applicants will be notified, in writing, before the end of the semester.