DOLORES ZOHRAB LIEBMANN FUND FELLOWSHIP
2013-14 Instructions to Nominators and Applicants
Program Nomination Deadline: 12:00 noon, Monday, December 10, 2012
This national competition is open to graduate students with outstanding character and ability, who hold promise for achievement and distinction in their chosen field of study, and who demonstrate financial need. Students must be enrolled at the University of Minnesota and must be U.S. citizens.
- must have an outstanding undergraduate record
- must demonstrate a need for financial assistance in order to fund education
- are pursuing a post-baccalaureate degree at the University of Minnesota
- will carry out their research entirely within the United States
- must be a citizen of the United States.
Areas of funding interest (as taken from the Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund website):
- Graduate school fellowships in any recognized field of study in the humanities, social sciences, or natural sciences (including law, medicine, engineering, architecture, or other formal professional training).
$18,000 annual stipend and tuition, renewable for up to three years of support.
The review and selection will be conducted by University of Minnesota faculty. Nominees will be selected based on the criteria indicated by the Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund Trustees. Successful nominees will:
- have outstanding undergraduate records,
- demonstrate financial need for the purpose of funding education,
- hold promise for distinction in their chosen fields of study, and
- show outstanding character.
Instructions to the Nominating Program/Department:
ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS ARE DUE TO THE GRADUATE SCHOOL FELLOWSHIP OFFICE BY 12:00 NOON ON DECEMBER 10, 2012. Confirmation of receipt will be sent by email. No paper copy is required.
Directors of Graduate Studies are responsible for assisting the student in preparing the application file and submitting the completed application to the Graduate Fellowship Office. Submit each completed nomination packet to firstname.lastname@example.org,
- with the email subject line: "Nominating Program Liebmann 2013," and
- with PDF attachment (one PDF document per nomination), following the naming convention: Program_Lastname_Firstname.pdf.
- Please spell out the entire program name and do not use all capital letters.
Email Subject Line: Biochemistry, Molecular Biology & Biophysics Liebmann 2013
PDF Attachment Name: Biochemistry Molecular Biology & Biophysics_Doe_Jane.pdf
Each nomination packet should be in the following order:
1) 2012-13 Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Application Form
- This application form is for a national competition, and was created by the Trustee, JPMorgan.
- IMPORTANT: For the internal selection process, please do not include your social security number or date of birth on the application. If your nomination is selected for the national competition, a complete application, along with official transcripts, will be required before the national submission deadline of January 25, 2013.
- All nominations will be securely recycled at the end of the competition.
2) Personal vitae or resume.
3) Unofficial copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
- Unofficial University of Minnesota transcipts may be printed by the student at http://onestop.umn.edu/grades_and_transcripts/unofficial_transcripts.html.
- IMPORTANT: Nominees selected for the national competition will be required to provide official certified copies of all transcripts before the national submission deadline, January 25, 2013.
4) Copy of graduate exam test scores. (If not applicable, please include a statement that explains why it is not applicable.)
5) Statement of Purpose, including 10-15 line abstract at the top.
- Up to three pages, double-spaced, 12 point Times New Roman type, with margins not less than one inch, with a 10-15 line abstract (single-spaced) at the top of the page.
- The abstract should explain, in layman's terms, your degree program, giving emphasis to its eventual intellectual impact on your field of study.
- The Statement of Purpose should describe the relationship between your graduate studies and your intended personal and/or professional goals.
- Letters should be sent to the program/department prior to the nomination deadline, for inclusion in the nomination packet.
6) Letters of recommendation from at least two professors who have taught or worked closely with the nominee.
7) Copy of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
8) Copy of your Financial Aid Summary from the University of Minnesota.
9) Copies of Federal Income Tax Returns for the prior two years, including spouse's returns, if applicable.
- IMPORTANT: Please black-out social security numbers and birth dates for initial application.
- If your application is forwarded to the national competition, copies with all information visible will be required.
- If not applicable, please include a statement that explains why it is not applicable.
Instructions to the Applicant:
Contact your program/department about internal selection procedures and deadlines.
Departments will be notified of the nomination selection outcome. The University of Minnesota will forward three nominations to the national Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fellowship competition.
For additional information on the Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund Fellowship, please go to the JPMorgan website, http://foundationcenter.org/grantmaker/liebmann/