Thesis Research Travel Grants
2014-15 Domestic Thesis Research Travel Grant:
Maximum award of $2,500 available to support thesis research outside of the applicant’s area of residence.
2014-15 International Thesis Research Travel Grant:
Maximum award of $5,000 available for extended travel to conduct thesis research abroad.
Fall Deadline: October 1, 2014, at Noon (application now open)
Spring Deadline: February 4, 2015, at Noon
Applicant must be registered in a Ph.D. or D.M.A. program at the University of Minnesota and must have passed the oral preliminary examination by the application deadline.
Eligible students may apply for either the Domestic or the International Thesis Research Travel Grant. Students who have already received a Thesis Research Travel Grant award are not eligible to apply again.
A typical budget generally includes transportation, lodging outside area of residence, and expenses for fieldwork. Applicants are expected to have exhausted other potential sources for travel funds and to indicate if they have partial funding toward the travel from grants on or beyond campus, including those grants that are under consideration.
The review and selection will be conducted by University of Minnesota faculty, who will select the awardees based on the following criteria:
- The cohesiveness of the study or research plan and the clarity with which it is conveyed to the non-specialist,
- the direct impact travel will have on the research,
- the strength of the overall academic record,
- the soundness of the budget request,
- the timeliness of progress toward the degree, and
- the strength of the letters of recommendation.
Applicants will be notified, in writing, by the end of the semester in which they applied.