TOEFL, MELAB, IELTS
English Language Proficiency Assessment Tests
Operational Standards for Admission
- EXCEPTIONS: Applicants who have completed24 quarter credits or 16 semester credits (within the past 24 months) in residence as a full-time student at a recognized institution of higher learning in the United States (or other English-speaking country) before entering the University of Minnesota may be exempted from this requirement. However, your graduate program of interest may not allow this exception so you must follow the application requirements of that graduate program.
The operational standards for admission to the University of Minnesota are listed below.
- Please note that individual programs may have higher TOEFL, MELAB or IELTS requirements, so you should check with your program of interest for any specific scores that might be listed.
Official scores will be required prior to enrollment or before we issue visa documents.
All English language test scores are valid for two years from the date the test was taken.
| Operational Standard
(Programs may have different requirements)
Internet based test:
Paper based test:
TOEFL Score Submission Procedure
TOEFL scores must be received directly from TOEFL.
The Twin Cities and Rochester campus TOEFL institutional code is 6874.
The Duluth campus TOEFL institutional code is 6873.
- Please note that test scores may not be available for 4-6 weeks after you take the test, and plan accordingly.
- If you have already submitted an application and want to find out if we have received your official TOEFL scores, click here.
IELTS / MELAB Score Submission Procedure
IELTS and MELAB scores must be received directly from the testing center.
- Please contact the test center where you took your test and request that your official test scores be sent to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
University of Minnesota
309 Johnston Hall
101 Pleasant Street S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455
- We do not accept unofficial Test Report Forms from students.
- No institutional code is required.